Monday, January 13, 2014

Boeh-ring

That pretty much summed up the food at Boehmer this weekend. It was quite unfortunate since I've been looking forward to this resto, well, ever since it opened. First bomb was that they could only seat us at 7 pm, although when we got there it was quite empty and didn't fill up till 9:30 pm....what gives? Second, the chairs. I rarely pick on something as mundane as chairs but if they want to get people to stuff food into their mouths as fast as they can in order to get out of those chairs, then mission accomplished. Talk about uncomfortable! But we're here for the food, so let's get to it. For starters, we ordered the venison tartare drizzled with red pepper aioli paired with crostini. This has got to be my favourite tartare in terms of the type of meat. I gotta say it was delicious; it needed a touch of acidity, but delicious. Also an egg yolk on top of anything, is A-OK in my books.


Apps #2: bacon, oyster, lobster chowder with a touch of tomato chutney. This is so not what I expected, which I always love. It almost tasted like, dare I say it, a curry. It was a thin broth with chunks of oyster and lobster, although I didn't taste, nor did I get, any bacon. But potato patato, this was the bomb diggity. So different but so good.


After our stomach-happy apps, we excitedly awaited our mains. I saw the pan roasted rack of lamb on a bed of barley chanterelle mushroom risotto and french green beans on the menu and I knew I had to have it since I've been craving lamb for months. Let's say, I'm still craving lamb. After the first and second bites, I knew nothing in my mouth was being tantalized and felt my taste buds retreat. The lamb was just... there. I wish it was encrusted in something...anything. The risotto, on the other hand, had great flavour but was under cooked. I guess that was the crunch they were going for?


Main #2: 60-day-aged striploin lined with shallot rosemary jus with a side of yukon golden frites. Granted that the cut of meat was spot on, it was just a plain boring dish. Do SOMETHING to your meat! Marinade? Seasoning? I think my dinner date said it best: "Great on technique, but lacks inspiration. The Jackson Triggs of restaurants". You think the saving grace would be the fries, but the salt miners fell all over that. Yay for wine! Keep drinking, all will be better.


Wrong. Desserts consisted of a duo of creme brulee - lavender and maple - and a caramel-chocolate torte. Someone definitely has a heavy hand in the kitchen as the brulees had the thickest sugary crust ever. I was chiselling my way through it. The flavours were fine but, at the end of the day, all I could taste was sugar. The torte was okay....pretty much one note throughout. Ugh what's the point, I give up.



No comments:

Post a Comment