Thursday, January 9, 2014

More Montreal Roamings

"Whoa this place is tiny" is the first thought that came to my mind walking into Le Gros Jambon - a diner on Rue Notre-Dame Ouest that came highly recommended. Make no mistake, this is not your typical eggs and toast type of diner. Think more along the lines of Coca-Cola Burger (which I've heard is the bomb) and BDLT (the "D" for duck confit). Unfortunately Au Pied De Cochon killed me the previous night so I settled for something "lighter".



We squeezed our butts onto one of the retro stools and dove into my "light" salmon eggs benny and Alistair's fried chicken and waffles. My eggs benny was a'ight, but the chicken and waffles were amazeballs. The chicken was so crispy that I could hear the crunch as I bit into it....pure perfection. The waffles were spot on and totally divine with the horseradish and mustard maple syrup. Just a well-rounded solid meal. I'm going to break one of my rules right now and say that I would eat here again because I feel that I didn't do it justice. Until next time Le Gros Jambon!



Later that day, we came across the Jean Talon Market in Little Italy. For those of you who live in Toronto, it's a smaller version of St. Lawrence Market. Here are some pics:




The last night of our trip, we were "French fooded" out and wanted something completely different - enter Kyo, a Japanese restaurant at the Place D'armes Hotel. The night we were there, the place was completely rammed but the restaurant was very cool in accommodating us and got us seats at the sushi bar. Thanks guys! First order of business: get drinks. Guava Katana (sake, ginger beer and guava juice) and Violette (white grape juice, soju, curacao and yuzu) - check! Note: the drinks are not for wusses so if you can't handle your liquor, settle it with some water. I won't judge, okay maybe a little bit.


As expected, we ordered a plethora of sushi/maki rolls that were pretty run of the mill, but the star here was the bibimbap hamachi (last pic). The hamachi took us to flavour town baby! The warm gooey egg yolk coated everything and the textures of the soft, fresh hamachi with the crunch of the vegetables and the kimchi melded quite well together - it was like a karaoke party in my mouth! The gochujang rice was stellar too. With the cool temperatures outside, it was a great ending to the night.






No comments:

Post a Comment