Thursday, February 6, 2014

Italian Done Right

Uninspiring, drab and conflicted - that's the decor of Enoteca Sociale; the food is pure heaven. We came to eat on a snowy Saturday night and eat we did. Let's get to it; first up: the salumi platter. Yes yes, I know, I always get the charcuterie plate but I can't help it, meat makes me happy. Enoteca's meat made me really happy. Also, pickled cauliflower = total winner.


Our next endeavour was the pork and polenta. OMG. I could have eaten two plates of this sausage ragu, polenta, wild mushroom magic and then ordered two more plates to go. It was creamy with a little heat and delicately earthy. It was official - I was having a good time.


Next to grace us with their presence were the rigatoni con brasato di manzo (braised beef, mushrooms and pecorino pepato) and the bucatini all'Amatriciana (guanciale, tomato and chili). Both pastas were perfectly al dente and brought their own flavours to the table. The braised beef pasta was pure comfort food and the cheese sprinkled on top was unbelievable, while the guanciale had more of a bite and was much lighter. If I had a gun to my head, the guanciale would win. Sorry beef, pork is where my heart is.



One bottle of wine later and more than half way through the meal, I don't feel a bit tipsy or have to squirm in my pants...what's going on? There's no such thing as light pasta, or is there? We scan the menu for dessert and settle on tiramisu (no surprises there) and sticky toffee pudding (not what you thought, was it?). The tiramisu was so-so - everything blended together so you couldn't taste the individual elements. Such a shame really but I wasn't too phased by it because I was just flabbergasted that I tasted the best sticky toffee pudding I've ever had...at an Italian restaurant! Normally, sticky toffee pudding is either overly sweet or just really stodgy. This was what it should be. Respect Enoteca....respect.





No comments:

Post a Comment