Sunday, March 16, 2014

Italian 101

Gusto is a gorgeous space built out of an old garage, sporting exposed brick, industrial lighting and vintage license plates. Immediately as I walk in, I think okay, modern-Italian cuisine - bring it. We started off with some vino and the Aracini balls, stuffed with arborio rice, wild mushrooms and fontina. I can never say no to Aracini balls but I've had some pretty bad ones in my day, so I sit praying that these would be above average. Verdict: They were mad delicious and held their form very well. Great start!


For some reason, I was feeling like a meatless main (GASP!) so I ordered the Fettuccine ai Funghi (portobello, porcini and oyster mushrooms) in a light cream sauce with truffle paste. This was comfort food at its finest - although quite heavy, I wasn't reaching down to unbutton my pants. So that's good right?



The other main I tried was the Spaghetti al Nero di Seppia, a medley of manila clams, shrimp, calamari, mussels, baby scallops and peperoncino....that was a mouthful! Compared to my mushroom pasta, this wasn't even close. The flavours were too light for my palate and I thought it needed something to bring it together. Also, where the hell was the rest of the dish? Portion size was an issue here. Two people at our table ordered the same dish - one got a regular size, the other got a midget size (no offense to midgets).




I couldn't eat dessert since I gave it up for lent so I watched (in agony) as others did. The one thing that did stand out from the menu was the Cioccolato, which was a chocolate quinoa cake. Intriguing no? I asked how it was. This is what was said: "It was okay, not memorable at all. I'm trying to forget it". Ouch. I thought I was mean.


As much as I tried to love Gusto, I didn't. I didn't find anything modern about the food, except for the quinoa cake, but we all know how that turned out. It was beginner-level Italian at best, nothing was particularly exceptional, it was just passable. It has a nice private room though....stick with the Aracini balls and wine and you'll be fine.






No comments:

Post a Comment