Tuesday, May 2, 2017

A Pretty Bad Start

We recently moved from Toronto (what up!) to Vancouver to try something different and to enjoy the breathtaking scenery. Since we've been stuffing our faces with Asian cuisine for a few weeks, we decided to take a break. We had walked past Per Se Social Corner a few times and the vibe seemed chill, and so one night we walked in for dinner. 

Red flag: If you can walk into a restaurant for dinner on a Saturday night at 7 pm without a lineup/reservation, just walk yourself back out. Ally, such a rookie mistake, you should know better *sigh*.

The menu is a 2-part(er) - Water + Flour pizzeria (Italian dishes including pizza) and Rosalinda (Spanish dishes including tapas) - so we got the saffron chicken on paella, the addiction pizza and the arancini.

The arancini stuffed with "prawns" and red peppers arrived first. The prawns must have been real fresh since they crawled out of the balls before we could sink our teeth in them. Nevertheless, good arancini with or without the prawns.


The paella was up next that looked a bit...well.. sparse. The chicken was meh but the rice was particularly bad - it was goopy and a bit burnt. My feeling is that the wrong rice was used or whoever was cooking it had no idea what they were doing. The whole dish tasted like rice doused with Campbell's tomato soup and I like Campbell's tomato soup! This was hands down, the worst paella I have ever had.


Pizza was up next. The stone pizza oven was staring at me the whole time since it was right in my direct line of sight so I felt quite optimistic about it. The addiction pizza was topped with beef, caramelized onions, goat cheese and fior di latte. The optimism died there. This was sweet...SWEET! If I wanted a dessert pizza, I would have asked for it. There was no balance of flavours here, no thought process, nothing. Since we had already had dessert (I guess our waiter thought so as well since he never returned), I couldn't wait to leave.


Vancouverites, I subjected my taste buds to this monstrosity so you don't have to. You'll are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment