Friday, May 26, 2017

More Than Just a Pretty Space

So this modern bakery and I have always had bad timing. First, a friend told me about this bakery and I thought I knew where it was, but I ended up at another bakery. Second time around, we got there just in time for the doors to close on us for the day. You would think the third time would be a charm? Well...kinda.

We ended up at Small Victory bakery after our first day out for Vancouver Design Week(end). It was rammed! I kid you not; if I ordered something and left without paying, I'm pretty sure no one would have noticed. But, of course, I paid guys!!! And you should too!!

We were quite lucky to commandeer some bar stools as we waited for our cappuccinos and dessert. First off, design wise, it is a stunning space. Marble countertops juxtapositioned with wooden beams, it was modern yet inviting. Oh and check out their geometric serving boards. Cool, eh? And they fit into one another like honeycombs. Fun!



Ordering was pretty uneventful: I saw the coconut cake and it was mine, along with the cruffin (which I had heard so much about). Let's start by saying a lot of people don't do coconut cake well - either too much icing, too dense, not enough coconut flavour or a weird coconut oil flavour (bleh!). Thank goodness, these guys know where it's at! Lovely moist cake with a thick layer of coconut cream and toasted coconut flakes on top. I pretty much ate this all by myself because it wasn't too sweet and was a perfect accompaniment to the cappuccino. Speaking of which, I'm a tea girl, but I drink enough cappuccinos (Thanks Al!) to know a good one from something you chuck down the drain.

The cruffin, unfortunately, was a let down. Part croissant, part muffin, I thought it would be closer to a Kouign-amman but it was a croissant shaped like a muffin. Pfffft. Filled with vanilla creme and berries, it sure was pretty but pretty doesn't cut it for me. Speaking of cutting, I tried to; it wasn't flaky, more spongy. I don't get the fascination.

Note to all, this bakery doesn't have wifi. I say, put your phones down, grab the coconut cake with a cappuccino, settle down with a book or just have a convo with your bestie (sans phones of course) - that's a small victory to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment