Saturday, June 3, 2017

Tuc Into This

As soon as we walked into the Gastown establishment, memories of Ossington in Toronto flash by. I'm not sure whether it was the industrial/rustic decor or the hipster vibe, but I knew I wanted to be here.

I'm going to do a little detour here. Bear with me. 

We got an early reservation because we were meeting friends at 8 pm for dessert, so after a hot day of frolicking in the city, we thought we'd jet home, shower and change into something decent before our dinner reso. Honestly, why did we bother? We are quickly learning that most people in Vancouver do not make an effort when it comes to their attire, dinner is no exception. I get the whole west-coast chill vibe, but it's dinner, on a Saturday night, I'm not asking you to put on a shirt and tie, just put on something that a) you won't wear to the gym, b) is not a hoodie and c) is not beach friendly. Just make an effort! I can't be the only person classing up a joint! Help me, Vancouverites! Okay, after that PSA, back to dinner.

Elk Carpaccio is the first dish that turns up and, boy, is it pretty! 


The carpaccio was sliced so thin that it was almost transparent. Slow clap chef! The garlic aioli was a natural accompaniment and I loved the pepperiness that came off the greens. I'm not sure what the greens were but my best guess would be arugula. The crispy potato, however, was a bit odd. I understand that they give some texture to the dish, but pairing something fried with something so delicate was strange. And also very awkward to eat - should I use my hands? A fork? I'll try a fork - and now I poked my face. Maybe I'll use my hands or maybe, maybe, instead of these potato weapons, consider using some nuts instead?

For my entree, they were out of my first choice: the pork curado, which I kinda chose because it was part of the MealShare program and I thought I get my good deed done for the day. Well, not today I suppose. I tried guys, I really did. Also, it's 6 pm and they ran out? Hmmm.

Second choice: beef al forno. This was not at all what I expected. I imagined a hunk of beef on top of cheese curds. In all fairness, the waitress explained quite well what the dish was, as did the menu, but my brain just stopped at braised beef (as it usually does). The description on the menu was: braised 1846 beef shoulder, cheese curds, black bean salsa verde, chili parmesan crisp.



This cast-iron pan deliciousness was brought in front of me. OMG, this is EXACTLY what I wanted today and didn't even know it! You get me Tuc, you really get me. First bite of this tender, succulent beef wrapped in cheese curds made me just want to change into my pjs and eat this in bed while watching a Hugh Grant chick flick. It was so comforting, warm and decadent. I really didn't want to share this with Al, but I needed him to feel all the feels I was feeling, and guess what?, he felt it (minus the Hugh Grant chick flick)! Can't win 'em all.

He got the steak and onions, which just sounded like something a lumberjack would eat.


A fancy lumberjack of course. Again, the beef was on point - medium rare and juicy - perched on onion rings and a horseradish and parsnip puree. Individually, great but together, not so much. The onion rings just overpowered the subtle creamy puree. Maybe some braised pearl onions would have done the trick rather than something deep fried. I think with some minor tweaks, this would have been a winner as well.

Nevertheless, I think Tuc is worth a visit - lovely service and a warm atmosphere. Just leave those Lululemon leggings at home. This Torontonian thanks you.

No comments:

Post a Comment